Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Chef's Salad & Indian Curried Carrots


The Food Nanny
January 13&14, 2009
Meal 1: Chef’s Salad and Mini Baguettes
· Warm the baguettes.
· Place the greens on each plate and garnish as you choose with the sides provided. Season with salt and pepper and dress.

Meal 2: Indian Curried Carrots, Kichiri Salad, and Grilled Flatbread
· Heat the curry in a sauce pan until simmering.
· Warm the flatbreads in the oven or a dry pan.
· Serve the rice at room temperature or warm it in a sauté pan with a little oil or butter.
· Serve the curry beside the rice.

It was amazing to wake up before the sun this morning to bake our weekly bread and make a plan for the day in the kitchen by myself. Ben was still sleeping and is typically in charge so I make sure to fully enjoy my alone time. The chef's salad was made with all local ingrediants, except for the chick peas. The spinach was picked up at Blue Moon Farm this past week, along with pounds and pounds of our root vegetables that were purchased in the fall (that was last year already!), Carrots, Onions and Potatoes all grown within Urbana City limits. Roasted Reds from Jon, coming out of our freezer and then there is the egg...
I am only now in my 4th decade coming to terms with the hard boiled egg. This morning was the first time I cooked them. When ever we discuss a meal and Ben tosses out putting hard boiled eggs in them I most often scoff at the idea... they are an item that people either love or hate- is anyone so so about them? (I feel the same way about olives and capers-if you are a lover out there and upset you don't see them in the food that's because of me--sorry) Back to the hardboiled eggs, my dislike also extended to the deviled and egg salad forms. This past spring for passover though Ben made a really good egg salad, it could have been the dietary restrictions forcing me to like anything that week, but I think that it was the quality of the egg. Our hens produce great eggs, yellow orange yolks, hard shells, there diet makes all the difference. I grew up with your typical grocery store egg, and that discoloring of the yolk when it is hard boiled, I couldn't stand the smell and there wasn't anything calling out to me to put it in my mouth.
Fast forward to this morning. I am ready to boil my first pot of eggs, we took them out last night to bring them to room temperature (helps with the peeling), I put them in the pot, covered them with water, brought them to a boil (lid on), boiled for 10 minutes, moved the pot to the sink and ran cold water on them until they were cold. Making something that you don't like to eat yourself as you don't want to mess it up for others that do enjoy it, so I made sure not to go over or under 10 minutes. I removed all the shells, and later cut into them. I was astounded at how beautiful they were, the bright yellow of the yolk cooked to perfection... I now became tempted to actually eat it... and I did and it was good.
Now to the point of my long winded storry, if you are one of our customers out there who is a bit turned off by the hard boiled egg, I say give this one a chance. Good chickens, make yummy eggs, and yummy eggs are good in almost all forms. I may even have to make the adored devil of an egg for an upcoming party now. Thanks to the Moores for raising such good eggs.

1 comment:

Susan said...

I agree with you about hard boiled eggs. I am definitely not a fan. Probably because the ones I ate were as a child and pretty terrible quality. I've avoided them since I was young. Maybe I'll have to give them a second chance, if I get them from the right source of course.