Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Pot Pies and Vegetable Minestrone


The Food Nanny
January 6 & 7, 2009
Meal 1: Biscouit Topped Pot Pie and Spinach Salad
· Reserve the biscuit and heat the potpie in the oven at 350° until just bubbling. Place the biscuit on top of the filling and heat 5 more minutes.
· Dress and serve the salad.

Meal 2: Vegetable Minestrone, Roasted Vegetable and Chevre Fougasse and Sweet New Year Cookie
· Warm the fougasse in the oven for 5-10 minutes.
· Heat the soup in a sauce pan. Add a little water if necessary and adjust the seasoning.
· Save the dessert for last.

Fougasse Me! Hey, Fougasse You buddy!

Sorry, just a bit of East Coast love for you all. The fougasse was a pleasure to make and I hope you all enjoy it. It reminds me of two delights from back home (Philadelphia, not Italy, but close) one is the stromboli, a sort of rolled pizza, and pepperoni bread, a rolled bread stuffed with guess what.
I expect to add this to our catering menu and think it would be a great compliment to any antipasto platter. I especially like that this type of bread is seasonally versatile. An asparagus version in spring, oven dried tomatoes in high summer, and broccoli in fall - what more do you want ?
We ate ours with the spinach salad and I was once again overwhelmed by the quality of the greens coming out of Blue Moon's greenhouse. Expect them to be featured next week. I would like to stress again that these greens are being produced locally, weekly, by our friendly neighborhood organic farm, without burning any fuel for heat, in January! I feel very fortunate to be able to procure these foodstuffs and to in turn extend them to you. Please enjoy and fend off the winter blues with Winter Greens!
For more information on winter vegetable production just search: Eliot Coleman.

No comments: