I would like to thank M. and R. for hosting us for Seder last night. And, not just for their gracious acceptance of the mild chaos we bring with us.
Both we and they were not able to make the second seder of this holiday. I had despaired when, 3 weeks ago it came onto my radar that Passover began on a Monday and Tuesday this year. Those days are already booked solid cooking shares every week. How could I possibly stack seder for 15-20 on top of that? Could we forgo? No, not in my heart could I accept this. Could we attend a public one? Sure, but what about the kids?
M. was kind enough to accept my imposition to host and Wednesday evening was the night we could make. Of particular impact was his recitation of Dy-anu, a hymn that relates some of the details of the Exodus with the refrain “ Dy-anu - It would have been enough.” Example: “If He had parted the seas for us, but not vanquished our oppressors in it/ It would have been enough. If He had vanquished our oppressors but not fed us in the desert/It would have been enough.” And on it develops. M. took the opportunity to extend the recitation to include our own verses. It was challenging - much more profound than a simple ‘What I am thankful for…’
Upon further contemplation today I feel that all we can really ask for, or even accept, is freedom and health. If I had nothing more than the liberty to live and die by natural means, and the good health and capacity of mind and body, it would have been enough. In other words; no matter what might befall us, we will most likely be OK. Remembering this, knowing this, and believing this liberates us from so much anxiety. Particularly the dangerous kind of anxiety that causes us to ignore our life path, become susceptible to material culture, or become self loathing. I can see G-d’s work in this idea. If we accept what we are, fully, with faith, then we are free to become that very person – and to thus fulfill our Creators’ own manifestation of ourselves. I think that ‘living with G-d’ is self-realizing his vision of us. It is said that in every generation the messiah is already among us, and will be revealed when we make the world a place suitable for his presence. I’ve never heard a self fulfilling prophecy I liked better (as long as you don’t think that killing some people is the way to make conditions suitable).
Passover is a food holiday, and a holiday about liberation. But really, it is a holiday about gratitude. How gracious that we have home, and love, and meaningful work. Thank you all for your important part of that. May you have a beautiful and blessed Spring.
P.S. Please pardon the sexist personification of the nameless, mysterious Holy. It is a simple convention.
No comments:
Post a Comment